Monday, June 17, 2013

Featured Artist: Millie St John


  I have been a potter for 44 years mainly producing functional stoneware. Until 2010, I ran a gallery/ teaching space and studio in Baldwinsville. Currently I teach at Clayscapes Pottery in Syracuse. (clayscapes.com) I have an eclectic voice in clay, enjoying simple mugs, bowls and teapots. But, I also create planters and lanterns for the garden. Recently, I have enjoyed making sculptural cats and women with a new direction working in life scale, and the painting? Ten years ago I wanted to quit clay. I needed a change. My youngest daughter was off to college. I took a recreational watercolor class from Elaine Crough. I realized quickly that I needed more. I enrolled in a drawing class at Oswego State. I then proceeded to matriculate and graduated 5 years later with a BFA in painting. I now work in both watercolor and clay and am always looking forward to something new to say.  Millie St John

 

Top: Millie with terracotta sculpture.
Below: Stoneware sculptures (22-23") painted with underglazes and acrylics


 Below: Watercolors






No comments: